The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) – the Home Office appointed independent immigration advisory body – has published its review of the Shortage Occupation List (SOL).
The MAC recommends adding several occupations to the SOL, including veterinarians, web designers and architects, and broadening others, including engineering, IT, the arts and healthcare, to include all roles within that occupation. The effect would be to expand the list from about 1% of total employment to about 9%.
The review’s other recommendations include:
- a consideration of medium-skilled occupations which may become eligible for the SOL in the future system;
- the inclusion of Gaelic teachers in the Scotland-only SOL;
- pilots to expand the evidence-base on what might work in migration policy for remote communities;
- removing the restriction on chef visas, which currently excludes those offering a takeaway service. This is in recognition of the changing nature of the hospitality sector and with the aim of future-proofing the list;
- the addition of Northern Irish and Welsh SOLs to the existing UK list and Scotland-only SOL.